Our Ultimate Guide To Making Your Own Coffee Shampoo?
Coffee has a huge number of benefits, acting as a stimulant and energiser, helping us wake up on a slow morning, but needs you know it can be beneficial to your hair too?
If you use coffee shampoo on your hair it can boost hair growth as well as help to repair your hair if damaged, all of this can be done DIY just by mixing coffee powder and shampoo or even hot water depending on your recipe.
To find out more about the benefits of using coffee shampoo as well as a few recipes on how to make it we’ve composed a short guide below to help you out.
Why Should I Use Coffee Shampoo?
Caffeine contains methylxanthine which is an organic compound stimulating our nervous system and giving us a boost of energy.
When it comes to using it on our hair, thanks to its extra high caffeine content it directly affects the scalp, preventing hair loss and acting as an anti-oxidant.
We’ve listed some of the main benefits of using shampoo with coffee below.
- Helps hair grow faster – Hair with coffee shampoo grows faster, this is because black ground coffee acts as a stimulant that wakes up the hair follicles and encourages growth.
- Stops hair fall – As well as promoting growth, hair with coffee is proven to fall out less due to the scalp being stimulated.
- Can be used as a henna dye – Not only does coffee for your hair have hair benefits for growth, but it can also be used to temp dye your hair naturally with no dye chemicals needed.
- Rich in antioxidants – Naturally, black ground coffee and black coffee powder is rich in antioxidants and can help repair a damaged scalp and hair thanks to their natural healing properties.
- Smooths hair – Shampoo with coffee adds an excellent shine to your hair like conditioner does and can also make dry and frizzy hair much softer too.
- Balances PH – Hair with coffee can help to balance PH levels on your scalp, this is because both your hair and scalp is naturally acidic.
Will Coffee Shampoo Help My Hair Grow?
When applied properly your hair can grow from coffee shampoo if it is applied well all over hair follicles as it stimulates the root and encourages growth and health due to the anti-oxidants. Coffee oil is also great for this job as it is more concentrated and easier to apply, helping blood circulation in your scalp and producing wider/thicker roots.
To see true growth in your hair you would need to make sure you do this consistently once a week to get maximum benefits.
DIY Coffee Shampoo Recipes
Making a coffee mixture for hair growth and coffee hair treatments can be done in a variety of ways as long as you’ve got some black ground coffee on hand for the job.
We’ve listed some step by step instructions below for making four different types of simple coffee shampoo according to the simple ingredient products you have.
Baking Soda & Coffee Shampoo
Mixing baking soda with coffee powder is a great way to keep your scalp clean and promote healthy growth in your hair, it also helps to smooth the hair down and give it a shine without any nasty chemicals.
- Two/three tablespoons of coffee powder.
- A teaspoon of baking soda.
- Three tablespoons of shampoo.
- Simply place the shampoo in a bowl then add your coffee powder and baking soda and mix, moisten your hair then apply the mixture through it.
- Allow the shampoo to sit for a few minutes then rinse off.
If you have a spare hairspray that can lie around why not mix some coffee powder with some hot water to make a spray treatment?
- Three tablespoons of coffee powder.
- Some hot water.
- Make a cup of coffee and let the coffee cool, put it into your bottle and spray on your roots, massage roots and rinse it off.
Homemade Coffee Dry Shampoo Powder
Everyone loves dry shampoo, it’s a saviour when you don’t have time to wash your hair and why not make it with a cup of coffee if you want to encourage some hair growth.
- One tablespoon of coffee powder.
- Arrowroot powder three tablespoons.
- Mix your coffee powder and arrowroot powder, adjust the arrowroot according to your hair colour.
- Use a brush to place the mixture on your roots and hairline, let it sit then rinse off.
Basic Coffee Shampoo
For this recipe, all you need is some shampoo and cups of coffee to make your homemade coffee shampoo.
We’ve listed the key ingredients below.
- Coffee powder.
- Mix your shampoo and coffee and moisten your hair, apply the coffee shampoo mixture all over then let it sit and rinse.
Frequently Asked Questions About Coffee Shampoo
What are the benefits of coffee for my hair?
Some benefits you can get from putting coffee in your hair are shiny hair and better hair growth, it can stop hair from falling out too.
Can I use cinnamon for my hair?
Cinnamon can also help stimulate hair growth and acts as a healing powder, simply mix with your coffee and shampoo to help it stimulate further.
How long should I leave the coffee shampoo in my hair?
You should leave hair in coffee for at least 2-3 minutes so it can invigorate the scalp.
Do darker coffee beans make better hair shampoo?
Yes, the stronger your coffee beans the better coffee oil they have in their grounds, more caffeine means a better stimulant too.
Overall, if you have a few ingredients lying around you can easily make your DIY coffee shampoo at home which is excellent for your hair and scalp. Make sure to use strong coffee as this will act as the best stimulant for your scalp and produce the best results.